History

COMAP, an industrial adventure

From the very outset, COMAP has based its development on solid technical expertise, painstakingly refined over the years, and on its export plans, hatched early on and which became a reality in the 1980s. This explains why major industrial groups have always shown an interest in the company, a testimony to the longevity of its industrial and commercial capital.

Almost 100 years of know-how

The origins of COMAP go back to 1921, when the company Société des appareils à jet (SAJ) was founded in Paris to manufacture and sell industrial fittings, ejectors, pumps and valves. During the 1930s, SAJ added large weld fittings to its range of products. In 1938, the company opened a factory in Saint-Denis-de-l’Hôtel, near Orleans.

With the massive need for reconstruction after the war, the company’s turnover rocketed. From 1921 to 1945, the company continued to grow steadily, employing 150 people. This led in 1947 to the company being split in two: the manufacturing division under SAJ and the sales division under COMET (COmmercialisation METallurgique), which later became COMAP (Société COMerciale APpareils industriels).

Post-war boom

SAJ-COMAP swiftly took on a new dimension. Sudo capillary weld fittings were launched after the war. In copper, bronze or brass, they would be instrumental in the company’s success. By 1968, the two companies employed 929 people and had two factories (Saint-Denis-de-l’Hôtel and Abbeville), a warehouse for stocking agencies, and offices in Paris. In the same year the original managers retired and sold the company to the Société des Fonderies de Pont-à-Mousson, which merged in 1970 with Saint-Gobain to become Saint-Gobain-Pont-à-Mousson.

From Saint-Gobain to Aalberts Industries

When Pont-à-Mousson restructured its valves division in 1972, COMAP was dismantled. Restructuring continued during the 1980s, led by Jean-Louis Beffa. It was not until 1984 that COMAP SA was resurrected as a subsidiary of Saunier Duval, which was in turn a subsidiary of Pont-à-Mousson. Business picked up quickly, boosted by large productivity gains. 1986 marked another turning point for COMAP: Pont-à-Mousson decided to focus on its casting business and sold COMAP to Legris SA, which was then one of the world leaders in industrial fluid push-fit systems. The new group was named Legris Industries. COMAP, the division in charge of “domestic fluids” within the group, had new means at its disposal to develop its industrial and sales base. The ranges were extended and the markets grew, particularly export. In 1994, COMAP created 13 sales subsidiaries in Europe.

In 2006, after 20 years as part of the Legris Industries Group, COMAP became part of the Dutch Aalberts Industries Group.